High heat sneaker drops are exciting, but when it comes to taking the “L” because of bots, it’s an experience not worth repeating.
In the sneaker world, bots are “software used to hit retail websites from multiple remote IP addresses in order to purchase multiple pairs of shoes without getting banned by the retailer.” (Motherboard, 2017).
For Nike Air Max Day 2018, we wanted to celebrate the iconic sneaker in a big way while still being relevant to the visual center established by Nike.
If Nike was sharing all these Air Max facts out through their social channels, what if we quizzed the sneaker community and rewarded those that knew the answers with exclusive sneakers?
This idea of “knowledge as currency” accomplishes a few things:
- Gives die-hard fans a chance to win based on knowledge
- Educates people about the history of Nike Air
- Empower players to beat the bots
Since design/production timeline was short, we initially stuck with Instagram Stories as our framework for serving up trivia questions while IG Live served as a way to push notifications to users prior to the start of a game.
It was evident that there were huge logistical hurdles in getting the trivia game to work properly on IG Stories:
- Uploading each question at the right time/cadence
- Keeping track of who answered all questions correctly
- Getting the right talent to ask the questions
- Actually creating the video content
- Fulfilling the transaction between Nike and the winners on IG
Nike x HQ Trivia
The next best solution was to collaborate directly with the quiz masters themselves, HQ Trivia. After several rounds of pitching and refining, we successfully we got Nike and HQ Trivia to partner up for Air Max Day. Players of HQ Trivia Air Max Day edition would get a chance to win $100,000 and a pair of the HQ Trivia Air Max 270s.
Experience design included moments leading up to HQ Trivia Air Max Day, during the HQ game itself and after the game.
- Schedule for communications and gameplay
- Digital Billboards (New York City and Los Angeles)
- IG Stories coming from Nike Sportswear brand
- HQ Trivia Air Max 270 Shoebox
- Transactional page for winners redeeming their shoes
Out of Home / Billboards
The following screens were put together by our visual designers with the help of our copywriter out in R/GA Portland.
In addition to splitting the pot of $100,000, winners were also rewarded with a pair of HQ Trivia Air Max 270. The transactional flow was pretty straightforward aside from the share flow, which allowed winners to brag to their friends about copping the kicks.
And the Kicks
- First brand partnership with HQ
- 1.8 million live players
- 488k actively engaged for 23 minutes
- 4 winners $100,000 pot
- 4 pairs of custom HQ x Air Max 270 sneakers were given away
It took teams from Nike, HQ Trivia and R/GA Portland to get this across the line. Below are the people that were involved on the R/GA side.
- Claire Badhams / Executive Producer – Production
- Sam Levy / Group Account Director – Client Services
- Aaron Pollick / Creative Director – Visual Design
- Gene Lu / Creative Director – Experience Design
- Karli Pedersen / Associate Designer – Visual Design
- Jeremy VanCleef / Design Director – Visual Design
- Kris Cantrell / Sr. Copywriter – Copy
- Gavin Leader / Senior Technology Director – Technology
- Jason McCoskery / Technology Director – Technology